Saturday, August 17, 2013

HOLY ISLAND: RETURNING TO A PLACE I HAVE NEVER BEEN


Except that, for me, there has always been an island.
Well, almost always. From the time I was six my family spent the summer on an island in the Delaware River. It was there that I learned to “walk in a sacred manner”, as Black Elk wrote. In later years I was drawn to Christian sacramentalism because the Eucharist reminded me of the Island. It still does.

In a little more than a week Nancy and I will make another attempt to begin the pilgrimage to Britain that was precluded last summer by the need for Nancy to have gall bladder surgery. 

As before, our principle destination will be the Holy Island of Lindesfarne, on the northeast coast of England near the Scottish border. We will also visit our extended family in Duns, Scotland, and the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in Norfolk. There are parish churches and cathedrals I wish to visit, but this journey is basically a pilgrimage to an island, a Return to a Place I Have Never Been. 
If you have a history with such islands, or would like to have one, you are welcome to read the chronicle I plan to keep on my blog, www.theramblingrector.blogspot.com

No comments: