Monday, October 20, 2014

Spirit Cat: a Poem

SPIRIT CAT

I dreamed of you one night
Blue-eyed and white,
Bright sun on untrodden snow.
I dreamed of you as if you bore
Within yourself some radiant core,
Some source
Of powerful attraction that drew out from me
Tenderness,
so rare and sweet,
       As when daughters used to run,
       Hair streaming out behind,
       Evoking such a pure, uncomplicated love,
       Hopeless, helpless, utterly undone.

You came when Nancy was away
And sick,
You occupied the porch til Katie let you in to stay,
Though doubtless not a stray.
You occupied the bed where Nancy lay, recovering
At home, and afterwards the bed or lap of any who were sick, or sad,
Until, as years passed and children went their ways accordingly,
We could not but notice that
You'd chosen
Me.

On my chest or feet you'd lie
So limp, so deep
In sprawling, trusting sleep,
Beyond all chance of trouble, or of fear.
When I came into a room you'd speak,
A cat-comment on the fact
That I exist objectively, and occupy a space
Unique to me.

I do indeed exist, and still
Whenever in some hollow, haunted room
I catch a glimpse of something so completely white,
Darting in and out of sight,


From whatever space you occupy
In the night where you have run away
To stay.

So you have gone, yet still are held
Along with all the absent daughters and the sons,
Inside the hollow space created
By your leaving, and by the dream.

No comments: