Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What they noticed...

CCC youth commenting about their experience on the first day of work on the site of St. Simon's church...
"I noticed all the stray animals."
"I noticed the contrast between the lavish resorts and the shacks where the people live."
"I noticed how happy and friendly the Dominican kids were."
"I noticed a little kid talking and laughing with a soldier carrying an automatic weapon."
"I noticed how church is where people are most interested in caring for each other."
"I noticed how even the youngest of the Dominican kids waited for us to get our food before they took any."
"I noticed all the the unfinished and abandoned projects there are all over the city."
"I noticed all the ways people tried to communicate in spite of the language barrier."


Along those lines, I noticed how much I regret being monolingual, and how much I admire and appreciate the few in both our groups who can speak both languages.
I also noticed how many in our group
Inquired about our dog Remi, who had major surgery back in Michigan today. He seems fine for now.

No comments: