Sunday, July 13, 2014

A message to Padre Bienvenidos Lopez

Dear Padre Bienvenido:
  Thank you for allowing me to share in presiding at the Mass today in Iglesia El Cristo Rey, in spite of my clumsy Spanish and lack of familiarity with your customs. I have been a priest for 47 years, and presided at high altars and humble tables, but today I experienced a new level of joyful ness and awesomeness in the living presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Padre, when you are at the altar you become a transformed person, not just reciting sacred words, but becoming them, with the melodious Spanish phrases flowing like wind from the sea, and your hands moving over the sacred vessels as if weaving a sacred web between heaven and earth.

I don't know how this experience may change my own way of presiding at the altar, but when the time comes for me to gather with Christ and the angels in heaven they will be singing the song you sing at El Cristo Rey right after the Canon of the Mass and before Padre Nostro... To the tune of "the Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon. I know I will be a better priest and better Christian because you invited me to visit heaven with you this morning at El Cristo Rey.

Querido Padre Bienvenido:   Gracias por permitirme compartir en presidir la misa de hoy en Iglesia de El Cristo Rey, a pesar de mi torpe español y la falta de familiaridad con su aduana usted. Tengo abeja un sacerdote durante 47 años, y presidió altares grande y mesas humildes, pero hoy he experimentado un nuevo nivel de gozo y genialidad en la presencia viva de Cristo en la Eucaristía. Padre, cuando usted está en el altar te conviertes en una persona transformada, no sólo recitando palabras sagradas, pero convertirse en ellos, con las frases en español melodiosas que fluye como el viento del mar, y las manos moviéndose sobre los vasos sagrados como si tejiendo una tejido sagrada entre el cielo y la tierra.
No sé cómo esta experiencia puede cambiar mi manera de presidir en el altar, pero cuando llega la hora de que me reúno con Cristo y los ángeles del cielo van a estar cantando la canción que canta en El Cristo Rey justo después del Canon de la Misa y antes de Padre Nostro ... por una suma de  "Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon.
Sé que voy a ser un mejor sacerdote y mejor cristiano porque me invitan a visitar el cielo con vosotros esta mañana en El Cristo Rey.

No comments: