Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Poem: The New Song is the Last Song



THE NEW SONG IS THE LAST SONG
The new song is the last song,
An evensong,
And always was,
Even when last sung
In the old world,
The world that took itself for granted,
That breathed easily and
Was often bored.

That world has drowned,
And long ago became a trout,
A huge old brown
Lurking at the convergence of
The River and the Creek,
Where it so happened it
Consumed me, bit by bit,
After my drowning
On the doctor’s  funeral day.

So I became a trout but
Lingered sufficiently on land
To preside at the funeral
At Canadensis,
The first place I went
After my death,
The first place of sure and certain hope,
Sure and certain as this day and these words,
Sure and certain as the convergence of
The River and the Creek
Where the evensong,
The last song,
Was done,
And still is being sung,
Or at least hummed
While taking out the trash. 








No comments: