Thursday, October 22, 2015

Healing dream

At the worst point in my bout with pneumonia, I dreamed of staying in a decrepit college dorm with some frightened roommates. "The homeless ones are coming," they told me. There was a knock on the door, and 3 dark figures pressed forward wordlessly, carrying blankets and pillows. "Wait," I said, pressing back against them, "there is no more room here. Go down to the student lounge and wait there for me. I will help you find a place to stay." They departed silently, and I awoke soaked with sweat, and for the first time in many days, my lungs were clear.

2 comments:

Bernie Yeater said...

Our bodies and minds do weird things when we are profoundly sick. People have often said that during these times we are the closest to God. I tend to like that line of thinking. Especially when my turn comes arround.

Unknown said...

I'm using this opportunity to inform you that Tom McGuan died of long-term effects of COPD today. Not so inappropriate to a post about lung congestion. In the end stage one suffers from "air hunger." A sad image. Contact me at chi-editrix@comcast.net if you like.

Maggie Newman