Sunday, December 15, 2013

From this morning's liturgy at Christ Church Cranbrook:

Thou shalt know him when he comes,
Not by any din of drums,
Nor by his manners, nor his airs,
Nor by anything he wears.
Thou shalt know him when he comes,
Not by his crown or by his gown.
But his coming known shall be
By the holy harmony
Which his coming makes
In thee.

Mark Sirett.      

    This anthem, sung by CCC choir this morning, supports my discomfort with triumphalist imagery of the Second Coming found in Advent hymns and scriptures. It needs a corrective itself, however, in that , for me, "his coming known shall be" is just as often by some jarring, disruptive interruption of oppressive but familiar routine as it by "holy harmony". So I guess I am more orthodox than I had thought.
Nothing jarring or disharmonious about this morning's choral music, however. Beyond superlatives.

No comments: