Friday, June 29, 2012

Excerpt from a letter written by old friend and parishioner in 1985 after he and his wife retired and moved to western North Carolina.
"St. James near downtown Hendersonville... built of stone, very high...one things that tickles me, they have cushions in the pews...I never saw so many workers on an altar...the priest is wired for sound. The pulpit is raised some ten feet above the congregation.
     Talk about a parade coming and going. It is led by a little old man in black who carries a one-inch cross on a short stick. He is very bald, very short, very serious, and wears a black robe. He is followed by three acolytes, one carrying a cross, after an acolyte carrying a banner. Then comes the choir of about thirty...then comes some acolytes carrying another cross followed by the deacons, assistant priests, the lectors, and the priest. Man do you have to be on your toes.
     I have thought about you-what would you feel like to face some two hundred people at one service week after week and try to remember faces and names...there is a greeter doing what I so liked to do. He has learned our names and he greets everyone, makes sure the priest knows the new people. etc. Makes you feel good...but they lack the closeness of St. Timothy's...there seems to be four people to do every job. There is something about a large church-they really don't need me and though I sort of like that I also tend to resent it. Selfish I guess."
   Thanks for the letter, Mac, and for your friendship. Wherever you are, I hope you will pray for me, for "the prayer of a righteous man availeth much."It is interesting how the church you described resembles the one I presently serve in retirement... may God send us more greeters like the one you describe! May God send us more people like you...

                                           Near Ashville, NC
     
    

No comments: