Thursday, September 29, 2011


NEW LAPTOP AND NEW JOB

I am writing these words on the new laptop I was given by the people of St. Stephen’s. It is very user-friendly and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. Thank you St. Stephen’s! I will endeavor to use it in a fashion that will make you glad you gave it to me, and gives glory to God, or at least avoids causing too much damage.

For those who don’t know it, I will begin serving October 1st as 1/3 time associate at Christ Church Cranbrook, St. Stephen’s neighbor to the west. The Rector there, The Rev. Gary Hall, is still relatively new in that position, and his vision of the church and approach to ministry resonate with my own. When he asked me to join their staff as Associate priest for Spiritual Formation it struck me as an authentic calling from God, and I look forward to serving with him and others whom I know at Christ Church. My particular role will be to assist in programming for adult faith development and weekday worship.

I will also am working with my good friend Fred Cavaiani on the development of retreats and workshops to be held at the Capuchin Retreat House in Washington Township. I am looking for other ministry opportunities, including some Sunday supply work. If you hear of anything that might be appropriate for me, let me know!

Before becoming Rector of a parish in 1981 I worked four or five part-time jobs at the same time. I enjoyed the variety, and expect to do so again.

Nothing could replace the privilege of serving for twenty years among the people of St. Stephen’s, Troy. But God is not finished with us yet, and I am inclined to trust a future inhabited by the same God who has blessed us so lavishly in the past.

“I remember the time past; I muse upon all your deeds; * I consider the works of your hands.

Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning, for I put my trust in you;* show me the path that I must walk, for I lift up my soul to you.” Psalm 143: 5 & 8.

No comments: