Shawnee Island, Delaware River, Pennsylvania
“Let the sea make a noise, and all that lives in it; * let the multitude of the isles be glad.”
1) Blessed are the people who get to live on Islands, o Lord God of hosts; * because they know they are always surrounded.
2) Blessed are those who know they have to make it work; * because they know there is no place else to go.
3) Blessed are the shipwrecked sailors who find their way to island shores * and discover there a place of refuge.
4) Blessed are the waters that surround an island; * they are a fortress, a highway, and a source of food, and we stand in awe of them.
5) For the earth is full of wondrous shapes and landforms, * and with them we give our thanks and praise.
St. Cuthbert’s island, Lindisfarne
6) Indeed, the church is something like an island, * and this fragile earth an island home.
7) In both cases we are to act as stewards, * as well as passengers and friends.
8) Praise to the Holy and Undivided Trinity, One God; * as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.
Let the sea make a noise, and all that lives in it; * let the multitude of the isles be glad.